Rodney Wolken - Instructor
ASE Certified Master Technician
This Automotive Technology program has been developed for students with a strong desire to become a quality auto service technician or to work in an automotive related field. Because of the increasing number of automobiles and the high cost of new cars and trucks, the industry needs trained technicians who can use modern electronic diagnostic equipment to diagnose and repair vehicles. More than 60,000 job openings exist in the automotive industry. Shops, parts suppliers, dealers, insurance claims departments, oil change, tire change...every aspect of the industry needs more new employees. There are a multitude of entry-level positions that lead to higher-earning career opportunities.
As the mechanical and electrical parts of the automobile become more complex, it is important to be vocationally trained. All students receive both technical and practical repair experience.
Automotive Technology is a 2-year program for juniors and seniors offering up to four credits per year.
Things to consider when considering selection of this course:
- Do I like to work with my hands?
- Do I like to see how things work?
- Do I like solving problems?
- Do I enjoy working on cars?
- Do I enjoy providing good customer service?
- Will I be friendly and courteous to the customers?
- Do I take pride in my work and enjoy doing a good job?
Skills you will learn if you select this course:
- Engine Repair
- Suspension and Steering
- Electrical/Electronic Systems
- Heating and Air Conditioning
- Engine Performance
You will have an opportunity to earn ASE certification in brakes, suspension and steering, engine repair, heating and air conditioning, electrical/electronic systems, and engine performance. Automatic transmission, manual transmission, maintenance and light repair.
Today's automotive technician must be a highly trained and skilled individual. To repair today's cars, technicians must be able to interpret pages and pages of service manuals and be familiar with the operations of a computer.
Employment Opportunities and Salaries:
- Automotive Repair & Maintenance - $44,050
- Automotive Dealers - $47,770
- Parts, Accessories, and Tire Stores - $39,410
- Local Government - $53,900
- Gasoline Stations - $41,090
* Data taken from the National Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020
Students who successfully complete one year of the program with a B average at Lex La-Ray may apply for articulated credit at Ranken Technical College.
Students who maintain a "C" (2.0 GPA) or higher average and high attendance, may apply for advanced placement at Ranken Technical College.