EARLY CHILDHOOD PROFESSIONS
Early Childhood Professions is a vocational program which offers the student a thorough study and research opportunity in child development, early childhood education, and developmentally appropriate practice. This program also offers an opportunity for students to use their knowledge through observation and application in the on-site early childhood classrooms.
Early Childhood Professions is a 2 year program offering up to four credits per year for juniors and seniors.
Purpose of This Course:
- Students will obtain the knowledge, skill and attitude of designing an integrated (developmentally and culturally appropriate) curriculum to meet the needs of young children.
- Students will have an understanding of the ongoing (process-approach) connection between curriculum and assessment of young children.
- Students will obtain the knowledge, skill and attitude of involving children, families and communities in curriculum and assessment of young children.
- Students will obtain the knowledge, skill and attitude to analyze global issues in early childhood education and understand their own responsibilities to alleviate these problems.
Students will participate in hours of observation and hand-on lab experience in the Lexington Early Childhood classrooms. During the lab experience, students will participate in teaching constructivist activities, designing the environment and observing/assessing children. Students will maintain written records and projects to submit with a portfolio.
Early Childhood Professions and Lab Experience is a vocational program designed for juniors and seniors in high school as well as adult learners seeking a career in early childhood education, elementary education, high-quality child care and child care administration. The course emphasizes an understanding of early childhood theory and application into practice. This course provides a foundation for collect coursework of for obtaining a C.D.A.
- Childcare Workers - $25,640
- Preschool Teachers - $31,930
- Preschool & Childcare Center Directors - $49,160
*Data taken from the National Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020
Post-Secondary students may apply for 3 hours of credit at State Fair Community College.
For More Information:
Sarah Chaney - Instructor, at 660-259-2192, ext. 5106