COMPUTER MAINTENANCE AND NETWORKING
This program has been developed to address the overwhelming need for computer support personnel in business and industry.
This course offers students the opportunity to acquire skills and knowledge in computer networking, applications and support using TestOut curriculum based on A&R Network. Students work with peers and mentors from industry to design, build and maintain local and wide area networks. They also provide computer training and support for staff and students. Students will have the opportunity to troubleshoot and repair computer software and hardware problems, and staff computer support.
Computer Maintenance and Networking is a 2 year program offering up to four credits per year for juniors and seniors.
A basic computer applications class or demonstrated knowledge of personal computers and the ability to read and follow detailed technical instructions is strongly recommended.
Computer Maintenance and Networking is 2-year program offering up to four credits per year for junior and seniors.
Things to consider when selecting this course:
- Do I have basic computer knowledge?
- Do I have the ability to read and follow detailed technical instructions?
- Do I have strong communications skills?
- Do I have the ability to work in a team?
Things I will learn if I select this course:
- Design, Installation, administering and maintaining Wide and Local Area Networks
- Maintain, install and troubleshoot personal computers and printers
- Computer Applications and applications support
- Install and maintain network wiring.
- Train Computer users
- Demonstrate leadership skills
- Computer Support Specialist - above $57,000
- Network Administrator- above $80,000
- Software developers - above $110,000
*Data taken from the National Bureau of Labor Statistics 2020
Forbes reports IT jobsare increasing at above average, showing up to 33% job growth.
Students who successfully complete the Computer Maintenance and Repair program with a B average at Lex La-Ray may apply for articulated credit at State Technical College of Missouri, and State Fair Community College.