The Practical Nursing program is located at:
Lex La Ray Technical Center Health Science Annex
817 South Business Highway 13
Lexington, MO 64067
Tracy Lock - Program Coordinator
Approved by the Missouri State Board of Nursing and the State Department of Education
2020-2021 Class Begins August 24, 2020, Graduation July 2, 2021
The role of the practical nurse is to provide quality care in all nursing situations with minimum and direct supervision and direction from a registered professional nurse and/or licensed physician.
The mission of the Practical Nursing Program is to prepare students to become competent licensed practical nurses that provide safe and quality care to individuals, families, and communities in a wide variety of health care settings within a culturally diverse society.
Philosophy of the program:
- The faculty of the Lex La-Ray Technical Center Practical Nursing Program believes and functions in accordance with the stated philosophy of the Lexington, Missouri R-V School District.
- The role of the practical nurse is to provide quality care in all nursing situations with minimum and direct supervision and direction from a registered professional nurse and /or a licensed physician.
- We believe that due to the role of the practical nurse in the health community, the core of the education of this nurse must be integrated curriculum based on the biological and behavioral sciences with development of interpersonal relationships, assisting in the development of an individual plan of care, and recognizing changes in the condition of the client indicating the need for professional assistance.
- We believe in human dignity of each individual and respecting cultural and ethnic diversity.
- We believe that the Lex La-Ray Practical Nursing Program should continue to be strengthened, improved and expanded in accordance with the needs of our community and Practical Nursing Education.
- We believe in a policy of non-discrimination regarding sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin or handicap, as specified by federal and state laws and regulation.
Objectives of the program:
- Upon completion of the Lex La-Ray Technical Center Practical Nursing Program, the graduate Practical Nurse will be able to:
- Practice nursing that is client centered, caring, culturally sensitive and based on the physiological, psychological and spiritual needs of clients.
- Serve as a member of the interdisciplinary health care team to promote continuity of care.
- Use current evidence from scientific and other credible sources as a basis for nursing practice and clinical judgement.
- Promote quality improvement by contributing to the implementation of care-related plans to improve health care services.
- Provide a safe environment for clients, self, and others.
- Use information technology in the provision of client care.
- Provide selected health-related education with guidance.
- Practice nursing in a professional, ethical, legal manner.
- Use leadership skills in the provision of safe, quality client care.
The applicant must submit the following by April 3, 2020:
- Pay application fee of $45.00.
- Register and pay $70.00 for the ATI TEAS test online after creating a user account on the ATI website by visiting www.atitesting.com An adjusted individual score of 44.0% is required to qualify for admission. To take the test at Lex La-Ray, you must select Lex La-Ray Technical Center as your testing site. Applicants may retake the test if a 30 day period has elapsed between testing dates, up two (2) times in a calendar year. Lex La-Ray will accept the ATI TEAS test scores that are less than 1 year old as of April 3, 2020. If taken at another institution, applicants must request an official test transcript to be sent to Lex La-Ray.
- Complete Lex La-Ray Technical Center Practical Nursing Application with essay.
- Official copy of High School Graduation Transcript or a 12th grade GED Certificate. A Student from a Non-English speaking county must take & pass the Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) and Test of Spoken English (TSE) Exams.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended.
- Submit two (2) professional references.
- Criminal Background Check: Final selection for the class is contingent upon successful background check. Any individual who has been convicted of a Class A, B, or C felony is ineligible for completing clinical experiences and therefore unable to complete the requirements for this program.
- FCSR Employee Disqualification List: If the applicant is on the employee disqualification list, he/she is ineligible for completing clinicals experiences and therefore unable to complete the requirements for this program. If the student is added to the list or found to be on the list during the course of the program, the student will be immediately terminated from the program. Do NOT send fee.
- Read and sign document MO 335.066
- Completed Pell Grant FAFSA application. FAFSA priority deadline: February 1, 2020. Please visit our scholarship page for more information on student aid and scholarship information @ http://www.lexlaray.com/financial-aid-and-scholarship-information.html
The Practical Nursing Program admits 29 students each program year. Applicants achieving a ATI TEAS score of 44.0% or above will be granted an interview. Lex La-Ray reserves the right to limit interviews to the top 75 qualifying candidates. Applicants with the top 29 final admission scores will be admitted to the program.
The final admission score for each applicant is calculated as follows:
- ATI TEAS score (math and reading are weighted) is 80% of the final admission score.
- The application essay is 10% of the final admission score.
- The past performance rating is 10% of the final admission score. The past performance rating is a combination score determined by:
- Each applicant’s two (2) professional references
- High school/college grade point average on a 4.0 scale
- Current certification in any allied health area (2 points per certification)
- Final decision for acceptance rests with the Admissions Committee
Late admittance requirements:
No student is admitted after five (5) class days have elapsed
FORMS AND LINKS BELOW ARE FOR THOSE STUDENTS ENROLLED IN THE 2020-2021 PRACTICAL NURSING PROGRAM
Physical Exam Form 2020-2021
PN Application 2020-2021
Steps to the Application Process
Dates to Remember 2020-2021
Practical Nursing Orientation Handout 2020-2021
Competencies and Functional Abilities
Practical Nursing Handbook 2019-2020
LPN to ADN Bridge Programs
Metropolitan Community College (Kansas City)
North Central Missouri College (Trenton & online)
State Fair Community College (Sedalia)
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Missouri Valley College (Marshall)
Admissions to the Lex La-Ray Technical Center is not prohibited or limited because of color, race, national origin, sex, age or disability. Any person having inquiries concerning compliance, please contact the Director of Special Services, 2323A High School Drive, Lexington, MO 64067, telephone 660-259-4369.
DIRECTIONS TO THE LEX LA-RAY HEALTH SCIENCE ANNEX
817 S. Business 13 Highway
Lexington, MO 64067
2323 High School Drive, Lexington, MO 64067
Amanda Finkeldei, Director · Phone 660-259-2264 · Fax 660-259-6262